Our volunteers are a diverse and active group of individuals who perform a variety of tasks that support library staff in providing excellent library services. Volunteer opportunities are available at most Library District locations.
How Can I Volunteer?
The ACLD Volunteer Form, Parental Permission Form (for Teens) and Reference Form for Minors are available online. Click on the form(s) you need, fill in the information, print, sign and send the paper copy to the Volunteer Program Specialist at the address below, or drop it off at your nearest Branch Library. For more specific information, contact the Branch Library of your choice or the ACLD's Volunteer Program Specialist:
- Erika Henderson
Volunteer Program Specialist
Alachua County Library District Headquarters
401 E University Avenue
Gainesville, FL 32601
TDD users, call (352) 334-3904
or e-mail Erika Henderson
Links to forms:
ACLD Volunteer Form
Parental Permission Form
Reference Form for Minors
Why Volunteer at the Library?
The Library is an important community service - an information and lifelong learning resource open to everyone! Here are some of the ways the Library - and you as a Library Volunteer - make a difference:
- Americans ask their libraries more than 200 million reference questions each year.
- Libraries save business leaders, scientists and engineers an estimated $10 billion a year in information resources.
- Public Libraries are the most efficient of public services - serving 66% of Americans with less than 1% of our tax dollars.
Provided by the American Library Association
Who Can Volunteer?
- Anyone who is 12 years old and older.
- Individuals who are reliable and able to stick to sometimes unexciting - but vital - tasks.
- People who can commit to volunteering 2-4 hours a week (maximum is 20 hours/ week) for a 3-6 month period depending on the tasks.
What Do Volunteers Do?
Volunteers may assist in the following areas
- Checking in and re-shelving library materials
- Processing materials for checkout
- Book repair
- Outreach/Homebound Services
- Local History aides
- Programs and Special Events
- Special Projects