Take advantage of the wide selection of digital media provided by your library!
The first thing you’ll need is a library card from the Alachua County Library District. If you have one, great! If not, and you are a Florida resident, you can get one by visiting any library branch location or bookmobile stop with ID and proof of address.
The Library District's main providers of eBooks are OverDrive and 3M. Our OverDrive collection is older and more extensive than the 3M collection; however, the 3M collection provides access to eBooks not available otherwise.
To see if your device will work with the services, you can check OverDrive’s list of supported devices and/or 3M's list of supported devices. Some devices require the use of a computer to deliver titles, while others can download the items directly.
To get started with eBooks:
- For eBooks in OverDrive, most titles can be read directly in the browser on your computer or handheld device.
- For EPUB titles in OverDrive which you cannot read in your browser, you will need to download the OverDrive app for your handheld device, or Adobe Digital Editions for your Mac or PC.
- Kindle-format books are only available through OverDrive. No additional software is required, but you will need your Amazon.com account.
- For eBooks in 3M, you will need the 3M Cloud Library app for your computer and/or device.
- For audio and video, download the OverDrive Media console.
Step-by-step instructions for downloading and returning eBooks:
- Downloading eBooks on your Kindle is only possible in OverDrive unless you have a Kindle Fire.
If you are a visual learner, see our Slideshare for downloading Kindle books
If you have a Kindle Fire, you can also read eBooks in EPUB format from both OverDrive and 3M. Check our instructions for the mobile device.
- Downloading eBooks on your Nook.
If you are a visual learner, see our Slideshares for downloading OverDrive eBooks to your Nook:
- Nook HD or HD+ with wireless through OverDrive.
- Nook Color or Nook Tablet with wireless through OverDrive.
- Nook Simple Touch, or any Nook without wireless access through OverDrive.
- Downloading eBooks on your iPad.
If you're a visual learner, check out our Slideshare for downloading eBooks on the iPad through OverDrive
- Downloading eBooks on your mobile device, such as Android, Blackberry, iPhone/iPod Touch and Windows phones.
If you're a visual learner, check out our Slideshare for downloading eBooks on your mobile device
- Downloading eBooks on your supported eReader, for eReaders other than the Kindle and Nook.
If you are a visual learner, see our Slideshare for downloading eBooks to your eReader through OverDrive.
- Downloading eBooks to read on your Computer, for Macs and PCs up to Windows 7.
- Downloading eBooks to read on your Windows 8 tablet.
If you are a visual learner, see our Slideshare for Using OverDrive on Windows 8.
Looking to download audiobooks? Follow these step-by-step instructions:
- Downloading audiobooks to listen to on your computer (Mac or PC, up to Windows 7)
- Downloading audiobooks to listen to on your Windows 8 tablet.
- Downloading audiobooks to transfer to your supported portable device
- Downloading audiobooks to your mobile device
Uh-oh. You’ve started to download, but something has gone wrong.
Not to worry, we have a number of possible solutions for you.
- Visit OverDrive Help to watch videos or search questions.
- Visit 3M Cloud Library's Support page to watch videos or check the FAQ.
- Nook users, sounds like you Need Nook Knowledge Now.
- Kindle users can get additional help from Amazon.
Downloading not a problem, but there’s nothing available?
Check out the Public Domain Collection from Overdrive, with over 34,000 titles and no wait list or expiration date.
Nothing worked? Feel free to call (352) 334-3939 or ask us online, and we’ll be happy to help! Please include your library card number and a detailed description of the problem you are experiencing when you contact us.
*Photo courtesy of The Daring Librarian.