Take advantage of the wide selection of digital media provided by your library!
What do I need?
The first thing you’ll need is a library card from the Alachua County Library District. If you have one, great! If not, and you are a Florida resident, you can get one by visiting any library branch location or bookmobile stop with ID and proof of address.
Where do I get eBooks and/or downloadable audiobooks?
The Library District's main provider of eBooks and audiobooks is OverDrive.
Some devices require the use of a computer to deliver titles, while others can download the items directly.
To get started with eBooks:
- For eBooks in OverDrive, most titles can be read directly in the browser on your computer or handheld device.
- For EPUB titles in OverDrive which you cannot read in your browser, you will need to download the OverDrive app for your handheld device, or Adobe Digital Editions for your Mac or PC.
- Kindle-format books are only available through OverDrive. No additional software is required, but you will need your Amazon.com account.
- For audio and video, download the OverDrive Media console.
Step-by-step instructions for downloading and returning eBooks:
- Downloading eBooks on your Kindle.
If you are a visual learner, see our Slideshare for downloading Kindle books
If you have a Kindle Fire, you can also read eBooks in EPUB format as well. Check our instructions for the mobile device.
- Downloading eBooks on your mobile device, such as Android, Blackberry, iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, and Windows phones.
If you're a visual learner, check out our Slideshare for downloading eBooks on your mobile device.
- Downloading eBooks on your Nook.
If you are a visual learner, see our Slideshares for downloading OverDrive eBooks to your Nook:
- Nook HD or HD+ with wireless through OverDrive.
- Nook Color or Nook Tablet with wireless through OverDrive.
- Nook Simple Touch, or any Nook without wireless access through OverDrive.
- Downloading eBooks on your supported eReader, for eReaders other than the Kindle and Nook.
If you are a visual learner, see our Slideshare for downloading eBooks to your eReader through OverDrive.
- Downloading eBooks to read on your Computer, for Macs and PCs up to Windows 7.
- Downloading eBooks to read on your Windows 8 tablet.
If you are a visual learner, see our Slideshare for Using OverDrive on Windows 8.
Looking to download audiobooks? Follow these step-by-step instructions:
- Downloading audiobooks to listen to on your computer (Mac or PC, up to Windows 7)
- Downloading audiobooks to listen to on your Windows 8 tablet.
- Downloading audiobooks to transfer to your supported portable device
- Downloading audiobooks to your mobile device
Uh-oh. You’ve started to download, but something has gone wrong.
Not to worry, we have a number of possible solutions for you.
- Visit OverDrive Help.
- Let us know what sort of problem you've run into and we'll get back to you as soon as possible.
- If you'd prefer to speak to someone in person, feel free to call (352) 334-3939 during Headquarters hours.
- Nook users, sounds like you Need Nook Knowledge Now.
- Kindle users can get additional help from Amazon.
Downloading not a problem, but there’s nothing available?
Check out the Public Domain Collection from Overdrive, with over 34,000 titles and no wait list or expiration date.
*Photo courtesy of The Daring Librarian.