Concerned about how your kids might use the internet?
The library offers NetSmartz presentations for teachers, kids, & parents. Please call 334-3941 to schedule a presentation for your class or community group.
Keeping safe online
Ten Internet Safety Tips
- Let your parents or guardian know where you go on the Internet. Show them your favorite websites.
- Use good manners and always be polite in chat and email. Let your parents or guardian know if someone else is rude or uses bad language.
- Your name, address, phone number and the name of your school is all personal information. Don’t share any personal information unless your parents or guardian say it is okay.
- Don't send any pictures of yourself, or open pictures that you get in email, unless your parents or guardian say it's okay.
- Show your parents or guardian any emails from people you don’t know before you open them.
- Ask your parents or guardian before taking any surveys or entering contests.
- Tell your parents or guardian about friends that you meet on the Internet.
- Don't go visit friends you have met on the Internet unless your parents or guardian come with you.
- Don't borrow words or pictures you find on the Internet to use for your homework, unless your parents, guardian, or teacher tells you it’s okay.
- If you see a picture or read anything that makes you feel scared or upset, turn off your computer monitor and get your parents or guardian.