2020 National Library Card Sign-Up Month
The Alachua County Library District is chomping into National Library Card Sign-Up Month this September with a special read poster for new cardholders while supplies last. Patrons can sign up for a library card using our curbside service Monday-Saturday 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. at all 12 library branches.
Florida residents ages 18 and older can register at any branch with photo identification and proof of residency. Minors ages 4-17 can register with assistance from a legal guardian.
Is this free?
Yes! You don't have to pay anything to sign up for a library card or to use any of our resources, collections, or online databases with your library card.
What can I do with a library card?
So many things! Your library card gives you access to more than 812,000 physical books, DVDs, CDs, and other items in our collection, thousands of digital books, and incredible online resources. Here are just a few of the things you can use your card for:
- Check out up to 100 items at a time.
- Check out up to 12 DVDs at a time.
- Explore our digital collection of 86,000-plus digital books and audiobooks.
- Learn a new language with Transparent Language.
- Find your ancestor with our genealogy tools, including Heritage Quest Online.
- Download five songs per week from Freegal.
- Flip through digital magazines and newspapers including the New York Times, People, Entertainment Weekly, and allrecipes.
- Gain a new job skill, like coding, public speaking, or video editing, with Lynda.com (also known as LinkedIn Learning).
- Prep for big tests like the SAT/ACT, GRE, LSAT, and MCAT using Tutor.com.
- Access educational resources and books for children of any age!
What kind of ID do I need?
Any current photo ID with Florida address works for registration. If the photo ID does not have the current Florida address, residency can be verified with:
- Voter registration card
- Rent or utility receipt
- Personal checkbook with imprinted name and address
- Property tax notice
- Name and address on mail with canceled postage, including forwarded mail
- Telephone listing in current telephone directory
For registration of a minor, the parent or legal guardian should bring their own photo ID plus a form of ID for the child. Acceptable identification for a minor are:
- School report card
- School immunization record
- Health insurance card
- Social Security card
- Birth certificate