Media Advisory – Feb. 28, 2019
Gainesville, Fla. – The Alachua County Library District Governing Board and Board of Trustees members unanimously approved a districtwide update to all branch hours at a joint meeting held Thursday, Feb. 28. New hours will be effective Saturday, June 1, 2019.
The new schedules are designed to better serve the changing needs of local communities and improve consistency across the Library District’s 12 branches. Overall, the updated hours will increase the total number of branch hours by 17 hours per week – approximately 884 additional hours per year.
The updated hours are a culmination of more than two years of research, including public surveys and factors including checkouts by hour, branch visits and computer sessions. The revised hours will not affect the number of staff members at each library branch.
“These new hours will help us to provide the best service to library patrons, while exercising responsible stewardship of resources,” said Alachua County Library District Director Shaney T. Livingston.
A schedule of the updated hours is attached. Highlights for each branch are as follows:
- Headquarters Branch: This branch will open one hour earlier on Sundays. The branch will close at 8 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays.
- Millhopper and Tower Road branches: These branches will align with Headquarters Branch hours, closing at 8 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays and opening at noon Sunday.
- Alachua Branch: This branch will add seven operating hours weekly, opening one hour earlier each day.
- Newberry Branch: Branch operations will be reduced by seven hours weekly, closing earlier Mondays through Thursdays, reflecting fewer patron visits on those evenings. The library will open at noon Sundays, one hour earlier.
- High Springs Branch: Overall hours each week will remain the same, with earlier closures on Tuesday and Thursday and additional weekend hours.
- Hawthorne Branch: Three hours will be added to this branch’s weekly schedule. The branch will open one hour earlier on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.
- Library Partnership Branch: This branch will add two hours weekly with a set opening time of 10 a.m. and extended hours Fridays and Saturdays.
- Cone Park Branch: Two hours will be added to this branch with later closures on Mondays and Tuesdays.
- Micanopy and Archer Branches: In response to patron surveys, these branches will add hours on Fridays and Saturdays, moving weekly closures to Mondays and Sundays.
- Waldo Branch: The branch will shift to a Tuesday-Saturday schedule and add 11 hours.
For more details, please visit aclib.us or contact Rachel Cook at email@example.com.
If a person with a disability needs an accommodation in order to participate in this event he or she is entitled, at no cost to him or her, to the provision of certain assistance. Please contact the Alachua County Library District at 352-334-3910 at least three (3) days prior to the event. TTY users please call 711 (Florida Relay Service).