The Sunshine State is ranked 12th among the states in cumulative solar capacity. Floridians are ready for change.
Solar energy allows us to reduce pollution and create energy independence. Solar is clean, abundant, and increases the value of your home or business.
Solar is Money Smart because
- it can help you save 50% or more on your energy bill
- the cost of solar has come down 70% since 2009
- There are energy tax credits/rebates, and soon, a solar co-op.
- For investors, the SOLAR Internal Rate of Return (IRR) consistently outpaces the S&P.
Money Smart indeed.
Solar energy also creates more jobs than coal, gas, and oil combined according to the US Energy and Employment Report.
There are several upcoming solar events this year in our area, some at the library, and others in the community.
The League of Women Voters have joined forces with Florida Solar United Neighborhoods to establish a buyer’s co-op for solar material and services. They are launching their campaign on April 20th at Swamp Head Brewery with a “solar social” from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. They will also be providing information and the opportunity to join the co-op, no obligation required, at the following locations:
•April 30th from 3-4:30 at the Headquarters Library
•May 21st from 3-4:30 at the Alachua Branch Library in Alachua
Other solar events include:
- April 22 at 2 pm at the Alachua Branch Library, GO SOLAR with Larry Benkhe
- April 23 at 2 pm at the Micanopy Branch Library, 25 Years Off Grid.
- April 24th from 7-8 pm at the Headquarters Library, Solar Impact
- September 23rd from 9am-5pm Solar Rocks for the Equinox at Sierra Club North Florida Headquarters at 2070 SW County Road 138, Fort White, FL 32038
From the library you can check out a watt-meter to gauge measure energy usage of a specific appliance. The library also has several books and movies to choose on Solar and Alternative Energy.
More titles that you can read online through our Safari Online Books. You will need to log-in with your library card and pin (year of birth) to access these books.