Downloading eBooks or mp3 audiobooks on your mobile device
The instructions below are for OverDrive titles which cannot be read or listened to directly in the browser.
Downloading eBooks and eAudiobooks on your mobile device using the Libby app:
(for Android, Blackberry, iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, and Windows tablets. As of January 2019, Libby was not available on the Kindle Fire.)
- Download the Libby app from your device's app store. Follow the prompts to install the app and the app will open.
- Find your local library. If the app doesn't find us automatically via GPS, use the search and put in "Alachua County Library District" or your zip code.
- Once you've found our library, the app will take you to the OverDrive collection. Towards the top fo the screen there will be a message saying something like "Welcome to the library. Make some noise! If you already have a library card, add it now."
- Sign in with your library card number and password.
- Browse or search for a title you'd like to borrow. Checked in items show "Borrow" at the bottom of the column to the right of their book cover; items that are checked out show either "Place Hold" if you don't have the title on hold or "Wait list" if you do. Items you have checked out at the moment will show "Open Book" instead.
- To limit the results to only titles which can be checked out immediately, tap on "Refine" then "Hide unavailable titles."
- To change your checkout period, tap on "Borrow" and then the loan period in "You are borrowing [whatever the title is] for "7 days." From here you can select another lending period.
- Once you've verified your lending period, tap on "Borrow!" at the bottom.
- By default, "Send to device" will show beneath the book. Tap this then "Shelf" to begin reading.
Downloading eBooks and eAudiobooks on your mobile device using the OverDrive app:
(for Android, Blackberry, iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, Kindle Fire and Windows tablets)
- Download the OverDrive app from your device’s app store. Follow the prompts to install the app and the app will open.
- Authorize your device with your library card number, social media account, or OverDrive account. (If you authorize through OverDrive, it will sync your progress in ebooks across devices; the other two options will not.)
- Touch the OverDrive icon at the top left of the screen. Touch Add a library.
- Select your library by entering “Alachua County Library District” or your zip code. Select your library.
- Sign in to adjust your lending periods (one time only). Tap the three books near the top right to sign in. Once signed in, tap settings, then select your preferred lending periods.
- Select a title to download. Checked in items show "Available" above the book cover; items that are checked out show either "Wait list" if you don't have the title on hold or "On hold" if you do. Click Available now if you want a title to download right away.
- Tap the Borrow button beneath the cover. Tap the Loans link.
- Tap Choose a format and select EPUB format.
- When your book is done downloading, tap the Menu icon at the top left then tap Bookshelf. Tap the cover of the book to open it. Enjoy!
To return your title early in the OverDrive app:
- Open the OverDrive app.
- Tap the OverDrive icon at the top left.
- Tap Bookshelf.
- Tap and hold the cover of the title you want to return. Tap Return to library.
- Confirm that you wish to return the title early.
- The title is returned and deleted.
For additional help, visit OverDrive Help.