With more than 6,000 languages in the world, learning another language should be on everybody’s bucket list.
From being able to understand your favorite foreign films without subtitles or to prepare for a vacation abroad, the library has plenty of free resources to make learning a new language fun and easy.
- Powerspeak can help users learn Spanish, French, German, Chinese, and ESOL, focusing on listening, speaking, reading, grammar and pronunciation skills.
- Browse the Library catalog for self-instruction materials for English, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Spanish and other languages. Many materials are available online and in downloadable audio formats. Ask a librarian if you need help finding the language materials you need.
Several free services also exist on the Internet:
- LiveMocha which provides tutorials and allows you to practice with native speakers from around the world. http://www.livemocha.com/
- Busuu is a language learning community that features easy to use tutorials and grammar guides. Languages include Spanish, German, Russian, Italian, Portuguese and French. http://www.busuu.com/
- Free language has lessons, podcasts, audio, video and more for children, teens and adults and has more than 20 languages to choose from. http://freelanguage.org/
- Byki is a powerful and personalized language-learning system. It locks foreign language words and phrases into your memory so that you can recall them perfectly and remember them forever. It also features more than 70 languages. http://www.byki.com/
- Visual Link Languages provides hundreds of free language-learning lessons games and activities. http://www.visuallinklanguages.com/
With these resources, learning a new language is just a click away.