Alachua County Library District is phasing out eBook services provided by 3M Cloud on June 23, 2014. Users can still access the library's 3M Cloud eBook services online or via mobile apps until it is completely shut down on July 14th. At that time, users will lose access to all 3M Cloud eBook checkouts and holds.
Users are encouraged to continue using eBooks through the library's Overdrive services. Overdrive not only provides a significantly larger eBook collection, but also offers many more options, including titles from Scholastic, eBooks in Kindle format, and various other media formats, including eAudiobooks. Overdrive apps are available for various mobile devices, including tablets and smartphones, and Overdrive recently released its Kids-only eReading room full of eBooks and eAudiobooks just for kids.
TIPS: For current 3M Cloud eBook users.
Download eBooks onto your tablet or smart phone using the 3M Cloud Library (app) software:
- To download the free 3M Cloud Library app, visit your device’s app store/market and search for “3M Cloud Library."
- Follow the prompts to install the app.
- Select your state and then Alachua County Library. Enter your library card number (your username will not work) and password and accept the EULA to authenticate the app.
- You will see the default shelves for the Library District. You can select a title from them, or browse by Categories, or Search. "My Books" will show you which 3M Cloud eBooks you currently have checked out.
- When you find the book you want, tap "Check Out." If the title is checked out, it will show "Add to Hold List" instead, with an estimate of when the title will be available.
- The title will load and you will be taken to "My Books."
- Tap the book to start reading. Enjoy!
To return your eBook early:
- Tap My Books at the top right.
- Tap List View just below my books.
- Tap the title you’d like to return.
- Tap Check In at the very bottom.
- Confirm that you’ve selected the correct title and tap Return Book at the bottom right. Your book has been returned!
Computers & eReaders
Download eBooks onto your computer using the 3M Cloud Library (app) software and you will have the option to transfer it to your eReader:
- To download the 3M Cloud Library app, visit 3M's software page and click on the link for "PC App" or "Mac App."
- Click the "Download Cloud Library" button to save the installer. Open it and follow the prompts to install the app.
- Select your state and then "Alachua County Library." Enter your library card number (your username will not work) and password.
- You will be prompted to authenticate your PC with an Adobe ID. If you have Adobe Digital Editions installed, the 3M Cloud Library will detect your Adobe ID and prompt you to use it. If you intend to transfer both 3M Cloud Library eBooks and OverDrive eBooks to an e-Reader, you will need to authenticate 3M Cloud Library to the same account you are using in Adobe Digital Editions. Otherwise you will not be able to transfer books from both services to your device.
- You will see the default shelves for the Library District. You can select a title from them, or browse by Categories, or Search.
- When you find the book you want, tap Check Out. (If the title is checked out, it will show Add to Hold List instead, with an estimate of when the title will be available.)
- The title will load and you will be taken to My Books.
- Switch to List View.
- Plug in your eReader. Once your computer detects it, click "Transfer to Device."
- Be sure to Safely Remove Hardware on your PC before unplugging the device.
You cannot return your eBooks early through the 3M Cloud Library app for PCs. To return your eBook early:
- Visit your Items Out page in the library's catalog. You will have to log in, if you haven't already.
- Click the Check In button to the right of the title you want to return.
- Confirm that you wish to check in the item.
- The eBook is returned!