December is "Learn a Foreign Language Month" with the goal of getting people to broaden their outlook on the world by taking a course in another language. Transparent Language is the library's language-learning eSource that will assist you in meeting this goal.
With your library card, you have access to learn 100+ languages, as well as English for 25+ native languages. Transparent Language is self-paced and accessible at home, at the library, and on-the-go via mobile devices.
Here are some of the great features you will find on Transparent Language:
- Over 100 Languages (and Growing!): From Afrikaans to Zulu, the number of languages available is constantly growing.
- Extensive English Collection: With English materials for speakers of over 25 languages, an intermediate-level immersion course, and more, we have tools for every stage of learning English.
- Alphabet Lessons: If you want to learn to read and write, you need to first know the alphabet. Get started on the right foot with our alphabet course.
- Flexible Learning Path: Follow our plan or blaze your own trail. We give you a starting point, but you choose what you’d like to learn.
- Speaking Practice: Transparent Language’s proprietary EveryVoice™ technology speech-enables classic learning activities like Multiple Choice and Pronunciation Practice, allowing you to compare your pronunciation to that of a native speaker.
- Typing Activities: Never typed in a foreign language? No problem! Beginners start with Easy Typing to input foreign characters. Intermediate learners can advance to type with the included fully-mapped native keyboard.
- Got Grammar?: We sure do, and more! An extensive collection of videos and written explanations covers hundreds of grammar topics, providing learners with a strong foundation to build upon.
- Enhanced Compatibility: Optimized for touchscreen use on Android™ tablets and iPads, Transparent Language Online works on virtually any Internet-connected device or computer.
- Other Great Resources: Language and culture blogs, Word of the Day, and interactive social communities help you expand upon the basic learning material by connecting you with others.
For assistance with Transparent Language, or any of our other eSources, please call our Headquarters Library Reference Desk at 352-334-3940.
The library offers wide variety of digital collections and eSources, all available for FREE with your Alachua County Library Card. Don't have a library card with our district? Visit any of our locations to sign-up!