The History of the Star Garage

Melanie Barr will speak on the Evolution of the Star Garage from 1903 to 2018. It was originally built as a livery stable by Crawford and Davis in 1903 and was one of several livery stables downtown. People who lived in town stabled their horses or mules there, or they could rent one to use if they didn't own one. The livery stable also sold buggies and wagons. The building had a serious fire in October of 1903 and underwent the first of many remodelings and transformations. For instance, the livery stable became a car dealership in 1917 when J.R. Fowler opened the Star Garage in it and sold Cadillacs and Studebakers out of it. Later, it achieved its present appearance in 1931 when an airplane that was being built inside the building caught fire. In 1933, it was used as a Greyhound Bus station. Most recently it was the home of the Superintendent of Elections. Melanie helped place the building on the National Register of Historic Places and will have a slide show discussing its various uses and the people who transformed it over the past 115 years.

Barr is Alachua County's Historic Preservationist par excellence. She was the Chair of the Alachua County Historic Commission on and off between the years of 1991-2014. She has won numerous awards for her work in saving historic houses in Alachua County and is a wealth of knowledge.

Please join her on Sunday, Nov. 4 at 2:00 at Headquarters Branch in Foundation Room.

This program is made possible thanks to the generosity of the Friends of the Library.

Posted by FionaL on July 2, 2018