Are you beginning a research project and don’t know where to start? Curious about the climate in Latvia or the career of Chuck Berry? Want to know what is meant by “risible”? The knowledge of the world is at your fingertips with World Book Online.
The World Book Encyclopedia has a hundred-year history of excellence in providing accurate, objective, and reliable information. World Book articles are contributed to by a team of over 3,700 scholars and internationally recognized experts, with a rigorous fact-checking process. World Book Online includes every article available in the print version and so much more.
In addition to tens of thousands of encyclopedic articles, World Book Online includes:
- Hundreds of thousands of primary sources including Back in Time articles, special reports, literary criticism, and U.S. Presidential papers and Supreme Court cases.
- Research tools including dictionary, atlas, local and country resource guides, and individual research accounts
- Links to hundreds of newspapers from around the world
- Up-to-the-minute news from around the world
- Thousands of images, links to editor-selected websites, and periodical articles
- More than 10,000 sounds and pronunciations
- An online book archive
The Alachua County Library District offers patrons access to World Book Online resources for three age levels, as well as a Spanish language encyclopedia for young learners and their innovative, interactive Timelines. These are all accessible from World Book Reference Center on our eSources page.
World Book Advanced is tailored for high school students and adults and includes research tools such as a citation builder and individual accounts to organize your research. Searching is optimized to provide the most relevant results, helping you to find the information you need quickly.
World Book Student is tailored for elementary and middle school students. It includes more than 40,000 encyclopedic and reference articles, rich multimedia content, the World Book Biography Center, activities, tools for educators, and more.
World Book Kids is for young students and includes easy-to-read articles with engaging images, illustrations, videos, maps, and animations. There are more than 50 educational games, a collection of age-appropriate science projects and activities, and other features for curious kiddos.
Video tutorials are available from World Book or find our printable guide for World Book Advanced below.