July 20, 2019 is the 50th Anniversary of the NASA Apollo 11 moon landing. On that day in 1969, Neil Armstrong and Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin took their first steps on the moon, while Michael Collins piloted the command module high above the lunar surface. Left on the moon were an American flag and a plaque that reads: "Here men from the planet Earth first set foot on the moon-July 1969 A.D.-We came in peace for all mankind."
To celebrate this milestone, the Asterion Foundation is inviting children in Alachua County aged 5-12 to create original poster art with a moon landing theme and enter their creations in a contest to win prizes. Artwork may focus on a memorable or celebratory image of the Apollo 11 mission, the lunar module, the astronauts themselves, famous quotes from the mission, technology or uniforms pertaining to Apollo 11, images of Earth and/or the moon, elements of the operation from ground to moon, and anything else related to the central theme.
On Saturday, July 6 and Sunday July 7, in the Headquarters Branch Library Children’s Department, we will have art supplies and library resources available for children to work on their posters. Children are also welcome pick up an official posterboard entry form at the local branch library and work from home. Full rules are listed below. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Rules and Details
- Open to Alachua County residents, ages 5-12; only one poster entry per person
- Submissions must be on official Asterion posterboards (available at your local library branch starting Saturday, June 29); the registration form on the back of the poster must be completed and signed
- Workspace and art materials will be provided in the children’s area at Headquarter’s Libray on Saturday, July 6 from 10 am to 5 pm, and on Sunday, July 7 from1 pm to 5 pm; posters may also be worked on at home
- Final submission deadline is Wednesday, July 10 at your local branch library or Friday, July 12 at Headquarters Library
- Contest winners will be determined by the Asterion Foundation Governing Board and announced via email on Friday, July 19
- On Saturday, July 20, winners and runners-up may view their posters and pick up prizes at Headquarters Library.
- Winners in each age category (5-6, 7-8, 9-10, 11-12) will receive a $100 Wal-Mart gift card and a certificate; runners-up will receive a $25 Wal-Mart gift card and a certificate.
- Winning posters for each age group will be on display in the children’s department at Headquarters Library until Saturday, July 27. Artists may pick up their posters starting on July 27.
- Winning names/poster may be displayed at Headquarters Library, on the Alachua County Library District Website, on the Asterion Foundation website, and/or in the Gainesville Sun