Please join us on July 24 at 2 pm in the Headquarters library to hear historic preservationist and former chair of the Alachua County Historical Commission Melanie Barr speak about the Scott-Phifer House of Gainesville and the Daniel Scott Plantation. This was a pre-Civil War house built in Hawthorne by Daniel Scott in the 1850s. Daniel Scott was originally from South Carolina. He purchased the land in 1853. By 1860, the property was worth $12,000. In 1917, the Waits family bought the house and it was donated to Alachua County in 2004. The antebellum house was the only one still standing in Southeast Alachua County until 2008 when it was demolished.
This program is made possible thanks to the generosity of the Friends of the Library.