The resources listed below are located at the Headquarters library. On request, staff will search, copy, and send copies by email or postal mail. Contact the Reference Desk by email or call 352-334-3940 to submit these requests. Print copies are limited to 3 pages. Materials can be copied at the library for 10 cents per page for black and white images. Our print and microform local history collection includes, but is not limited to:
Gainesville and Alachua County History
- Alachua County schools and how they got their names
- Chronicle of the gay rights struggle in Gainesville
- Economic survey of the community of Gainesville, FL: 1950
- Gainesville: alive with opportunity by Ray Carson
- Guide to the University of Florida and Gainesville
- Historic Gainesville: a tour guide to the past
- The historic Haile Homestead at Kanapaha Plantation
- Historic Photos of Gainesville by Steve Rajtar
- Histories of women's organizations in Alachua County
- History of Alachua County by Fritz W. Buchholz
- History of Alachua County by Jess Davis
- History of Gainesville by Jess Davis
- History of Gainesville, Florida, 1854-1979 by Charles H. Hildreth
- History walk around downtown Gainesville by Helen Ellerbe
- Lady Gators - simply the best by Ruth Alexander
- The Making of a Serial Killer by Danning Rolling
- The Matheson house of Gainesville, Florida: sheltering the past by Murray Laurie
- Retrospections: November 1967, Gainesville, FL by A. Quinn Jones
- The Thomas Center: an illustrated history and guide by Rie Burton
- Coy City Directory and Guide; Gainesville, Alachua, Archer, Hawthorne, High Springs, Micanopy, Newberry, and Waldo, 1934-1935 [print and/or microfilm]
- Gainesville City Directory (Polk City), 1938-current, some years missing [print and/or microfilm]
- Gainesville City Directory of Streets and Numbers, 1950
- Gainesville Telephone Directory, 1907-2011, some years missing [print and/or microfilm]
- Hill-Donnelly Cross Reference Directory, Gainesville and Surrounding Vicinity, 1969-current, some years missing [print and/or microfilm]
- Miller's Gainesville, Florida City Directory, 1938-1954
State and county records
- Florida Combined Indexes of Marriages, Divorces & Deaths, 1877-1997 is on microfiche and can be searched by the name of husband or maiden name of wife. This resource gives the year and county of the event which is necessary to get copies of certificates from the appropriate county.
- Florida population studies
- The Gainesville Sun is available in digital, print, and microform. The Gainesville Sun (full-text, 1995-current) can be accessed from anywhere with your library card.
- The High Springs Herald is available in microform for the years 1952-1996.
- Palm Beach Post Historic Archive For the first time, readers are now able to browse the earliest editions of The Palm Beach Post, as well as The Palm Beach Daily News, the Miami News, The (Palm Beach) Tropical Sun and The Palm Beach Independent. This Historic Archive, made possible in partnership with Google, spans the years 1897 through 1988.
- Other Florida newspapers can be accessed digitally on Newsbank. These newspapers are free to access from anywhere with your library card.