Downloading eBooks on your Kindle ereader (or free Kindle App):
Before beginning, you will need to visit Amazon.com and create an account (you do not need to enter your credit card information). Next, you will need to turn on your Kindle and access a Wifi* signal (open the Menu, then select Settings to enable Wifi) in order to login to your Amazon account from your device.
- To find an eBook, visit our OverDrive collection at http://www.aclib.us/overdrive.
- First you will want to Sign In so you can adjust your lending periods. The default lending period is 7 days. We recommend 21 days.
- If you're not taken to your Loans after signing in, click on the three books near the top right of the screen. Click Settings then double-check that your lending periods are what you'd like.
- Browse the collection or search for your desired title. (You will be looking for books in Kindle format.) Checked in items show "Available" above the book cover; items that are checked out show either "Wait list" if you don't have the title on hold or "On hold" if you do. Click Available now if you want a title to download right away.
- Click the Borrow button beneath the cover. Click the Loans link.
- To send the book to your Kindle, click Choose a format then Kindle Book. This will take you to Amazon.com.
- Click the Get Library Book button located on the right-hand side of your screen, and follow the prompts to download the eBook. (If you have more than one registered Kindle device, you will have to select one from the Deliver to dropdown menu). The eBook will be delivered wirelessly to your Kindle!
* If you don't have wireless, you will need to transfer your book via USB. Skip to the note below for instructions.
- From your Kindle’s Homepage, open the Menu and select Sync & Check for Items. This usually takes about one minute.
- Back on your Homepage, you should now see your title. Select it and enjoy reading!
*NOTE: If your Kindle’s Wifi is disabled or unavailable, you will need to connect your Kindle to your computer with the USB cable. Follow the above instructions until Step 9. When you click Get Library Book, you will select Transfer via Computer from the drop down menu (or, in the case of titles that require the USB connection, this will be the only option you have available). You will be prompted to open or save the file; select Save and then select an easy to find location (such as the desktop). Once the file has been saved to your computer, connect your Kindle using the USB. Your Kindle will appear as a removable mass-storage device, either on your desktop or under My Computer. Open the Kindle drive, then drag and drop the saved files into the Documents folder (or Books for the Kindle Fire). Safely eject your Kindle from the computer, unplug your USB, and your title should now be on your Homepage. Select it and enjoy reading!
To return your Kindle eBook early:
- Go to Amazon.com and log in.
- Click on Your Account.
- Scroll until you see Digital Content.
- Click Manage Your Content and Devices (formerly Manage your Kindle).
- Click the three dots to the left of the title, under Actions.
- Click Return this book and confirm.
- On the Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, or in Kindle apps, touch and hold the cover in the carousel, then select "Remove from Device" or "Remove from Carousel."
On your Kindle’s Homepage, open the Menu and select Sync & Check for Items. Select the title you are done with and press the Right Arrow key, then select Remove from Device.
- The eBook is returned and deleted!
Downloading eBooks and eAudiobooks on your Kindle Fire using the OverDrive app:
- Download the OverDrive app from your device’s app store. Follow the prompts to install the app and the app will open.
- Authorize your device with your library card number, social media account, or OverDrive account. (If you authorize through OverDrive, it will sync your progress in ebooks across devices; the other two options will not.)
- Touch the triple line icon at the top left of the screen. Touch Add a library.
- Select your library by entering “Alachua County Library District” or zip code 32601. Select your library.
- Sign in to adjust your lending periods (one time only). Tap the three books near the top right to sign in. Once signed in, tap settings, then select your preferred lending periods.
- Select a title to download. Checked in items show "Available" above the book cover; items that are checked out show either "Wait list" if you don't have the title on hold or "On hold" if you do. Click Available now in the filter drop down if you want a title to download right away.
- Tap the Borrow button beneath the cover. Tap the Loans link.
- Tap Choose a format and select EPUB format.
- When your book is done downloading, tap the Menu icon at the top left then tap Bookshelf. Tap the cover of the book to open it. Enjoy!
To return your title early in the OverDrive app:
- Open the OverDrive app.
- Tap the triple line icon at the top left.
- Tap Bookshelf.
- Tap and hold the cover of the title you want to return. Tap Return to library.
- Confirm that you wish to return the title early.
- The title is returned and deleted.
For additional help, visit OverDrive Help from within OverDrive.