The Library’s Literacy Program offers basic literacy and ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) services to adults who struggle with reading or who want to learn English in communities across Alachua County.
How to get started:
If you know an adult who struggles with reading or who wants to learn English, ask him or her to call our Literacy Coordinator Theresa Sterling at (352) 334-3929 or help send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Basic Spanish is spoken at this extension.
Learners can also visit the Literacy Office at Library Headquarters located at 401 E. University Ave. in Gainesville.
How it works:
- The basic literacy program is completely confidential
- All materials and services are free
- Services are offered at most library branches
- Learners and tutors meet at least once each week
- Flexible schedules accommodate both learners and tutors
- ESOL services are offered in leveled small group settings
How to sign up:
Call the Literacy Coordinator at (352) 334-3929 to learn more about the program.
Current tutors: Use this form to submit monthly reports.
For information about becoming a volunteer tutor or upcoming trainings, contact the Literacy Coordinator.
Image used courtesy of San José Library