Please rate this page from “5” (satisfied) to “1” (not satisfied), and write your comments and suggestions.
Our volunteers are a diverse and active group of individuals who perform a variety of tasks that support library staff in providing excellent library services. Volunteer opportunities are available at most Library District locations.
Volunteer Program Mission Statement
To provide, expand and enhance volunteer opportunities for community youth aged 12 years and older and adults that are interested in providing positive service contributions to the Alachua County Library District operations.
What do volunteers do?
Our volunteers do a number of different tasks throughout the library, including:
- Check in and re-shelve library materials
- Process materials for checkout
- Book repair
- Program and special event assistance
- Special projects
- Clerical Assistance
Please select your preferred location for specific tasks:
- Headquarters Branch
- Alachua Branch
- Archer Branch
- Cone Park Branch
- Hawthorne Branch
- High Springs Branch
- Library Partnership Branch
- Micanopy Branch
- Millhopper Branch
- Newberry Branch
- Tower Road Branch
- Waldo Branch
Why volunteer at the library?
The library is an important community service - an information and lifelong learning resource open to everyone! Here are some of the ways the library - and you as a Library Volunteer - make a difference:
- Americans ask their libraries more than 200 million reference questions each year.
- Libraries save business leaders, scientists and engineers an estimated $10 billion a year in information resources.
- Public Libraries are the most efficient of public services - serving 66% of Americans with less than 1% of our tax dollars.
Provided by the American Library Association
Who can volunteer?
- Anyone who is 12 years old and older.
- Individuals who are reliable and able to stick to sometimes unexciting - but vital - tasks.
- People who can commit to volunteering 2-4 hours a week (maximum is 20 hours/ week) for a 3-6 month period depending on the tasks.
How can I volunteer?
You will need to fill out either a Youth Volunteer Application Form or a Volunteer Application Form for Adults. Minors will also need to have the Reference form filled out by someone who is not a relative. All adults interested in volunteering must have a background screening. The Volunteer program Office will provide additional information regarding the background screening process.
For more specific information, contact your local branch library or:
Elmira K. Warren
Volunteer Program Specialist
Alachua County Library District Headquarters
401 E University Avenue
Gainesville, FL 32601
(352) 334-3943 (voice)
Additional volunteer opportunities are available through our Friends of the Library.