The Library’s Literacy Program serves adults in our community who are interested in:
- Improving basic reading skills
- Learning English (for non-native speakers)
- Improving literacy skills in Spanish (in preparation for entering a traditional English learning program)
How to get started:
If you know an adult who struggles with basic literacy or who wants to learn English, ask him or her to call our Literacy Coordinator Theresa Sterling at (352) 334-3929 or send an email to email@example.com. Basic Spanish is spoken at this extension and all messages are private.
Learners can also visit the Literacy Office at Library Headquarters located at 401 E. University Ave. in Gainesville; scheduling an appointment in advance is recommended.
How it works:
- The program is completely confidential
- All materials and services are free
- Services are offered at most library branches
- Flexible schedules accommodate both learners and tutors
How to sign up for help:
Call the Literacy Coordinator at (352) 334-3929 to learn more about the program and to schedule an intake meeting.
Image used courtesy of San José Library