Interlibrary Loan (ILL) allows our library system to borrow items we do not own from other libraries. ILL services are available to residents of Alachua County whose library card is in good standing (with a $0 balance).
The Alachua County Library District does not charge for ILL services, but other libraries might charge processing fees and/or fines for overdue materials, up to $100.
- ILL Requests May Include
- Physical books
- Photocopies of articles or book chapters (maximum of 30 pages)
- Items the Library Does Not Request via ILL
- Materials owned by the Alachua County Library District, including Reference materials
- eBooks and eAudiobooks
- Books published in the last 6 months
- Complete issues of periodicals
- Audiovisual materials - DVDs, CDs, audiobooks
- Dissertations and master theses
There is a limit of 5 Interlibrary Loan requests per account at one time.
An overdue ILL will immediately block your account until it is returned and processed by the ILL Department.
- How to place an ILL request
You will need your library card number and PIN/password to access your account. Your library card number is the 14-digit number on the back of your library card. Your default PIN/password is the four-digit year you were born (ex. 1954)
- Use the catalog search bar at www.aclib.us (for books, enter the title and author)
- If you don't see the item under the catalog search results, you can either try the Advanced option under the Search menu or use the Select Databases link and check the box beside OCLC WorldCat and click on Set Databases to search other library system records for an Interlibrary Loan request.
- Locate the item with the book icon and select Place Hold
- Enter your Library Card Number and PIN/Password (default is the 4-digit year you were born) and select Log In
- Select your Pick-up Library from the drop-down menu
- Click Submit Request
If you are having trouble submitting your ILL request through the catalog, you may instead email your request to the ILL Department for it to be processed.
- How to renew an ILL
Please request a renewal at least five (5) weekdays before the due date. Interlibrary Loans may only be renewed once, if allowed by the lending library.
- Renewals may be requested by contacting the Interlibrary Loan Department by email or calling 352-334-3950.
- Check your library account online or call your preferred library branch to determine if the due date has been extended.
- If you have a valid email address on your account, you will receive an email notification about the renewal status.
- If you do not receive a new due date by the time of the original due date, the item was not renewed and must be returned.
- You can request the item again if you require more time.