Alachua County Library District cards are free to any resident of Florida. To register, Florida residents 18 years of age and older must present photo identification and proof of residency in person at any Library District location. Minors (ages 4-17) must be accompanied by a legal guardian as the Responsible Party.
Acceptable forms of identification
Any current photo ID with Florida address is acceptable. If the photo ID does not have the current Florida address, residency can be verified with:
- Voter's Registration Card
- Rent or utility receipt
- Personal checkbook with imprinted name and address
- Property tax notice
- Name and address on mail with canceled postage, including forwarded mail
- Telephone listing in current telephone directory
For registration of a minor, the parent or legal guardian must have own photo ID plus a form of ID for the child. Acceptable identification for a minor:
- School report card
- School immunization record
- Health insurance card
- Social Security card
- Birth certificate
The Alachua County Library District and the School Board of Alachua County are partnering to improve access to educational and recreational materials by providing every student with a free Alachua County Library District Student Library Card. To find out more, visit our Student Cards page.
Library card renewal
- Library cards are issued for two years. Renewal must be done in person. A photo I.D. and proof of mailing address (if it is not on photo I.D.) is required to renew.
- In order to renew a card, a patron’s account must be at a $0 balance.
- Renewal for minors requires proof of guardianship.
Change of address
To change the street address of your account, present a valid photo ID and proof of residency (if not on the ID) at any library location. Patrons may change their own telephone number or email address in the My Account pages of the online catalog.
Checkouts and returns
- Adults must show staff their library card or valid photo ID to check out items.
- Books, books on tape and books on CD check out for 4 weeks. Items may be renewed up to 2 times if not on hold for another library user.
- Music CDs check out for two weeks and may also be renewed up to 2 times if not on hold for another library user.
- DVDs check out for 14 days, and you may check out 12 DVDs at one time. DVDs may be renewed up to 2 times if not on hold for another library user.
- Overall checkout limit of 100 items.
- Overall limit of 100 holds, 25 of which can be holds on DVDs.
- eBooks and other digital media have circulation rules and hold limits that depend on provider, format and licensing. Read about Digital media.
Recovery of long-overdue materials
Please return materials on time. Five or more overdue items, or $50 worth of overdue materials, will block your borrowing privileges until the items are returned. You will be billed for materials not returned within 28 days of their due date. For more information call Circulation Services at (352) 334-3950.
Privileges at public libraries in surrounding counties
Residents of Alachua County are eligible for free library cards from 13 surrounding counties. These are Baker, Bradford, Clay, Columbia, Dixie, Gilchrist, Lafayette, Levy, Marion, Putnam, St. Johns, Taylor, and Union counties. Please note that some digital content, such as OverDrive, may be restricted to Alachua County Residents only in accordance with our Patron Accounts policy.