The Matheson History Museum is also our local Alachua County Historical Society. Community archives serve as vital sources for information for future generations studying and learning from history. Currently, the museum is asking for community stories about life during COVID-19. This is a unique opportunity to be a part of documented Alachua County history. Written accounts, art, pictures, and videos that you would like to contribute to the archive are welcome. Some submissions include stories about local businesses, celebrating birthdays, and photos of art created during this time. You can view current submissions on their site. Here are some questions that the museum has posed to help you brainstorm, but you are not limited by these questions:
- What strikes you visually about Alachua County in lockdown?
- What social distancing and health practices are you following?
- What do you do to stay socially connected?
- What do you miss about your life before COVID-19?
- How are you getting food and supplies?
- What has been hardest about this for you and your family?
This is an important moment in our history. By contributing to the archive, you are assuring that younger generations will know how Alachua County responded and what life was like during this time. If you would like to contribute your experiences, please email Kaitlyn Hof-Mahoney at email@example.com.