Alachua County Library District Policy Statement
|Board of Trustees
The Alachua County Library District offers without charge to all users a choice of filtered or unfiltered access to the internet.
- Library staff will not monitor, control or restrict any user’s access to equipment or the range of information available. Users must comply with federal, state and/or local laws and Library District policies.
- Parents, guardians or designated caregivers who wish to limit or restrict the access of their own children should personally oversee their children’s use of the internet and other forms of electronic information.
- Library staff will not act in the place of parents, guardians or designated caregivers by providing supervision of minors as they explore the internet. Unattended minors are responsible for the proper use of Library District provided internet and network services.
- Users of Library computer or network resources must comply with federal, state and local laws, Library policies and procedures, and the terms of applicable contracts including software licenses while using Library computer resources.
- Materials obtained or copied from the internet may be subject to laws which govern the making of reproductions of copyrighted works. Any responsibility for the consequences of copyright infringement lies with the user.
- Users who engage in electronic communications with persons in other states or countries or on other systems or networks may also be subject to the laws of those jurisdictions and the rules and policies of those other systems and networks.
- Users must not use any means to gain unauthorized access to local or remote computers and networks, or to impair or damage the operations of Library District computers, networks or peripherals. This includes blocking communication lines and running, installing or sharing virus programs.
- Attempts to circumvent data protection or other security measures are not allowed and may result in a trespass from Library District facilities.
Provision of this service does not constitute an endorsement by the Alachua County Library District of any internet sites or any information obtained from the internet. The Library shall have no liability for direct, indirect or consequential damages related to the use of information accessed on the internet from Library equipment or Library wireless networks.
Internet users are reminded that:
- Not all sources on the internet provide accurate, complete or current information.
- Individuals are responsible for the decision to choose either filtered or unfiltered internet access.
- Filtering software does not block all material users might find objectionable.
- Public Library workstations and networks are not private or secure.
- Wireless internet access may be offered, but is not private or secure, and may not work with all users’ equipment.
- Individuals who bring their own computers and/or mobile devices to use in the Library are responsible for the safety and security of their equipment and for understanding and maintaining their compliance with this policy while using the Library’s internet access.