Plastic Free July is a movement to refuse single-use plastics and encourage individuals to make changes to reduce overall plastic use all year long.
Although the pandemic has reversed some gains, there are always ways to participate:
- Refuse single-use plastic whenever possible. For instance, when ordering takeout from your favorite restaurant to enjoy at home, say no to utensils.
- Most produce does not need to be placed in separate plastic bags. Visit Creativebug for instructions to make a No-Sew T-shirt tote. Add additional breathing holes for a produce bag.
- Switch to reusable containers instead of using single-use plastic storage bags or plastic bags.
- Look for items that have the least amount of packaging.
- Reusable Containers are safe to use during COVID-19 pandemic, say experts. This includes your grocery bags.
Join other Alachua County Residents working toward reducing their plastic use with the Plastic Free Ecochallenge. The local group is hosted by the Santa Fe College Teaching Zoo.
Books and DVDs for Adults:
Books for Kids: