For more information click on each photo to go directly to the recipes website.
Balsamic Green Bean Salad
2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces, 1/4 cup olive oil, 3 tablespoons lemon juice, 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, 1 large red onion, chopped, 4 cups cherry tomatoes, halved, 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
1. Place beans in a 6-qt. stockpot; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Cook, covered, 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and immediately place in ice water. Drain and pat dry.
2. In a small bowl, whisk oil, lemon juice, vinegar, salt, garlic powder, mustard, and pepper. Drizzle over beans. Add onion; toss to coat.
3. Refrigerate, covered, at least 1 hour. Just before serving, stir in tomatoes and cheese.
3/4 cup: 77 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 112mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Test Kitchen Tips:
- This salad acts best as a side for your favorite spaghetti recipes.
- Instead of snapping off the ends of each green bean like Grandma did, trim a bunch in seconds. Gather beans in a small pile, lining up the tips on one side. Cut off tips with a single slice using a chef’s knife. Flip the pile over and do the same on the other side.
Recipe from: www.tasteofhome.com
Swiss Cheese Green Bean Casserole
1 1/2 pounds fresh green beans trimmed and snapped, 4 tablespoons (divided) butter melted, 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons onion grated, 1 teaspoon white sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, 2 cups sour cream, 8 ounces Swiss cheese coarsely shredded, 2 cups corn flakes crushed
Personal Tip Ingredient:
2 cups of crispy fried onions instead of corn flakes
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
2. Place a steamer insert into a saucepan and fill with water to just below the bottom of the steamer. Bring water to a boil. Add green beans, cover, and steam until slightly tender, about 5 minutes.
3. Stir 2 tablespoons butter, flour, onion, sugar, and salt together in a saucepan over medium heat; gradually stir in sour cream. Cook and stir mixture until hot, thickened, and smooth, about 10 minutes.
4. Add steamed green beans to the cream mixture. Pour green bean-cream mixture into a 2-quart casserole dish; sprinkle with Swiss cheese.
5. Mix corn flakes and 2 tablespoons butter in a bowl until well coated; sprinkle over Swiss cheese layer.
6. Bake in the preheated oven until cheese is bubbling and topping is browned, about 20 minutes.
Substitute corn flakes with crispy fried onions and skip step #5. Sprinkle crispy onions on top of casserole in the last few minutes of baking.
Recipe from: www.epicurious.com
Green Beans and Bacon
2 1/2 pounds green beans trimmed, salt, 1/2 pound bacon roughly chopped, 1 small yellow onion finely chopped, 3 cloves garlic minced, 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans, juice of 1/2 lemon, freshly ground pepper
1. Toss the green beans into a large pot of boiling salted water and cook until bright green in color and crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
2. Drain the beans and shock in a large bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Drain the beans again and pat dry.
3. Cook the bacon in a large, heavy saute pan until crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
4. Spoon off the excess bacon grease, leaving 2 tablespoons in the pan. Add the onion to the pan and saute until soft and very tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle in the garlic and red pepper flakes and saute until just fragrant, about 1 more minute.
5. Add the reserved green beans and the pecans and cook until heated through, 5 to 6 minutes more.
6. Return the bacon to the pan, pour in the lemon juice and toss. Season with salt and pepper.
Recipe from: www.foodnetwork.com
Southern Style Vegan Green Beans
Mushroom "Bacon": 8-12 oz baby bella mushrooms (sliced), 1/4 cup soy sauce, 2 tbsp maple syrup, 2 tbsp water, 1 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp liquid smoke, 1/4 tsp black pepper,
Green Beans: 1 lg onion (diced), 2 tbsp veg broth or water (for sautéing), 2 lbs fresh green beans (ends snapped off) OR 2 bags frozen green beans (10.80z), 24 oz baby yellow potatoes (1 bag or about 1 1/2 lbs), 2 cups veg broth, 2 cups water, leftover "bacon" marinade, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1/4 tsp salt, 1 batch mushroom "bacon"
Mushroom "Bacon" -
1. Clean and slice mushrooms, and add to a large skillet.
2. Whisk remaining marinade ingredients and pour over mushrooms.
3. Cook until mushrooms have reduced in size.
4. Drain and save the marinade. (for added crispness, place the mushrooms under a broiler for a minute or so)
Green Beans -
1. Rinse the green beans, and snap off both ends, removing any strings.
2. In a large soup pan, dice and saute a large onion until softened.
3. Add the beans, potatoes, veg broth, water, and any leftover marinade from the bacon. Add remaining seasonings, stir and cover.
4. Bring beans to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 1 hour then remove lid. Add bacon and stir.
Recipe from: www.brandnewvegan.com
For more information on green beans and green bean recipes, take a look at some of these books from our collection. Just click on the picture to be taken to the catalog listing.