The Friends of the Library Bookhouse is packed with two years' worth of donations ready to delight readers, including expanded sections for art, comics, games, and rare items.
Friends of the Library's first in-person Book Sale since fall 2019 is scheduled for Oct. 23-27 at the Bookhouse, 430-B North Main St. in Gainesville. The sale runs 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 23 and noon-6 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 24 through Wednesday, Oct. 27. General collection items are half price on Oct. 26 and all items are 10 cents on Oct. 27. Profits from the sale support the Alachua County Library District and community literacy projects.
Due to COVID-19, FOL volunteers will monitor and limit the number of shoppers allowed into the sale at a time. Shoppers inside the building must wear a mask covering their nose and mouth and practice social distancing. Visit FOL's FAQ section for more details.
FOL recently expanded the Bookhouse with the purchase of the building's front portion. The new area features increased space for art and entire rooms for games and comics. In the warehouse portion, the History section and Collector's Corner have expanded to include more books and items than ever.
The Collector's Corner features rare and unusual items from many genres. Books may be leather-bound, signed, first editions, out of print, or published by small presses. Larger sections include Art, Military History, Literature, Non-Fiction, Florida, Genealogy, Regional, Early Cookbooks, Natural History, Vintage Children’s Books, Pop-ups, and “Grandma’s Bookshelf." A new wall highlighting Florida and collectible art, vintage magazines, ephemera, and music at the entrance to the Collector's Corner. The Collector's Corner is open Saturday, Oct. 23-Tuesday, Oct. 26.
Featured items in the 2021 Fall Sale Collector's Corner include the following:
Art, Architecture, and Photography
- La Technique by Jacques Pepin, signed.
- Ackermann’s Repository of Arts Fashion Plates, rebound, c. 1809.
- The Works of Antonio Canova, 2 volume set, 1880.
- The Mind’s Eye by Jerry Uelsmann, 2010.
- Two Centuries of Black American Art by David C. Driskell, 1976. An exhibition for the American Bicentennial Year by the L. A. County Museum of Art. It was the first comprehensive survey of African American Art.
- Les Promenades de Marcel Proust, by Beauthéac, photographs by Bouchart, in French, 1997.
- Leica, An Illustrated History, volume 1 and volume 2.
- Ballet: 104 Photographs by Alexey Brodovitch, 1945.
- Domestic Architecture of H. T. Lindeberg, limited printing, 1940.
- Boutiques Parisiennes du Premier Empire, 1925.
- Brian Rutenberg, as new – in wrapper, 2008.
- The Red Book Liber Novus by C. G. Jung, edited by Sonu Shamdasani, Norton, 2009.
- The President’s Lady, 1st printing, signed by Lady Bird Johnson, 1964.
- An Autobiography Richard Avedon, 1st edition, 1993.
- The Wright Brothers by David McCullough, 1st edition, signed, 2015.
- The History of Cartography: Cartography in Prehistoric, Ancient and Medieval Europe and the Mediterranean, volume 1.
- The History of Cartography: Cartography in the European Renaissance, volume 3.
- The History of Cartography: Cartography in the European Renaissance, volume 3 - part 2.
- Walt Disney Animation Studios, the Archive Series: Design, 1st edition, 2010.
- The Black Echo, 1992, The Black Ice, 1993, and The Concrete Blonde, 1994, by Michael Connelly, the first three books in the Harry Bosch series, 1st editions.
- A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole, 1st edition, 1980.
- The Floating Opera, 1st edition, signed, 1956.
- Ship of Theseus by V. M. Straca, 1949.
- Soldiers of Florida in the Seminole Indian-Civil and Spanish-American Wars 1903, 1st edition. It includes lists of soldiers, their regiments and historical information. Published by Democrat Book and Job Print, Live Oak FL under the supervision of the Board of State Institutions.
- The World Grows Round My Door by David Fairchild, 1st edition with an “A” and a seal, 1947.
- Road to the Sun by Marjory Stoneman Douglas, limited Florida edition, signed, 1951.
- Landscapes and Hydrology of the Predrainage Everglades by McVoy, Saìd, Obeysekera, Van Arman, and Dreschel, 1st edition, includes CD, 2011.
- The Native Orchids of Florida by Carlyle A. Luer, 1st edition, 1972.
- Wayside Trees of Tropical Florida by David Lee and Stacy West, signed, 1st edition, 2011.
- A History of Florida Forests by Baynard Kendrick and Barry Walsh, 1st edition, 2007.
- In Lower Florida Wilds by Charles Torrey Simpson, 2nd impression (blue cover), with two foldout maps, 1920.
- Lemon City: Pioneering on Biscayne Bay 1850-1925 by Thelma Peters, signed, 1976.
- The Defense of Spanish Florida 1565-1763 by Verne E. Chatelain, includes 22 maps, 1941.
- Paintings of Florida Lighthouses by Selesnick, 1st edition, 2012.
- Gal Young Un by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings, paperback, 1st edition, 1954.
- Legend of Useppa Island, 1939.
- Naples Waterfront: Changes in Time by Todd Turrell, about coastal Naples FL and Collier County, contains many beautiful maps with overlays, signed.
- Karate Is a Thing of the Spirit by Harry Crews, 1st edition, 1971.
- Old Bottles Found Along the Florida Keys by Loretta Monroe, 1st edition 1967.
- TALLY–HO 1971, Florida State University, volume 24, FSU Yearbook, not a reprint, student published.
Games and related books
- Lego Knights Chess Set: complete with game board and Lego characters gaming books.
- Bloodborne: The Old Hunters, Collector’s Edition Guide, in fine condition, 2015.
- Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk, (Dungeons & Dragons), 1st edition, 2007.
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Legendary Standard Edition, (Prima Official Game Guides), 2013.
- Warhammer Fantasy Rollplay, 2005.
Note: There are also hundreds of puzzles, games, and books in the Art Annex, Puzzle Room.
The Mundens, paperback, excellent condition, color illustrations, maps, family genealogy, 2019.
- Before the Dawn of History by Charles R. Knight, 1st edition, 1935.
- The North American Indians by George Catlin, 2 volume set, 1913.
- Reports of Cases Argued and Determined in the Court of Appeals of Virginia edited by Bushrod Washington (George Washington’s nephew), 2 volume set, 1798, 1799.
- The Attorney’s Practice in the Court of King’s Bench, volume 1, rebound, 1776.
- Simcoe’s Military Journal, 1844.
- Memoirs of General W. T. Sherman, written by himself, 1st edition, 2 volume set, 1875.
- Personal Memoirs of U. S. Grant, 2 volume set, 1st edition, illustrations and maps, 1885.
- Sealed with Their Lives: The Battle for Crampton’s Gap by Timothy Reese, 1st edition, signed.
- Typhoid Mary by Anthony Bourdain, 1st edition, signed.
- The Argentina Journal and Casting Pebbles on the Water with a Cluster of Colors by Peter Z. Malkin, 2 volumes, drawings and history of the capture of Adolf Eichmann.
- 3-D Picture Series Germany, includes stereoscopic glasses, 60 slides that show pre and post WW2 scenes, + 107 slides post WW2 scenes, 1958.
- Pictorial Narrative in the Nazi Period. The artists are Felix Nussbaum, Charlotte Salomon, and Arnold Daghari.
- WWII Navy Manual and uniform patch with signed Jack Dempsey photo.
- Battle Studies by Du Picq.
- The Imposed War, very rare 5 volume boxed set – Iraq Iran War.
- Memories of Old Cahaba by Anna M. Gayle Fry, 1908.
- Lake Wobegone Days by Garrison Keillor, signed.
Literature and Classics
- Faulkner’s Mississippi, 1st edition, 1990.
- Catch 22 by Joseph Heller, signed.
- The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway, Franklin Library, limited edition, 1975.
- Fiesta (The Sun Also Rises) by Hemingway, 1955.
- Tales of a Wayside Inn by Longfellow, 1st edition, 1863.
- Winter of Artifice by Anais Nin, with line engravings by Ian Hugo, limited to 500 copies.
- The Works of James Whitcomb Riley, 6 volume set, limited edition Elizabeth Marine Riley Set, #2/140, tooled leather, gold decorated, with silk moire endpapers and flyleafs, fine condition, 1913.
- Counterpoint: A Translation of Kontrapunkt by Heinrich Schenkor, 1st printing, Books I and II.
- Wildflowers Across America by Lady Bird Johnson and Carlton B Lees, signed by Lady Bird Johnson.
- The Rhine from its Source to the Sea, 2 volume set, very good condition, 1898.
- The Botanic Garden, A Poem in 2 parts, 1795.
- The Works of Mr. Abraham Cowley, 7th edition, 1681.
- Embossed leather-bound German prayer Book with metal clasp, 1888.
- New England primer, improved; or, an easy and pleasant guide to the art of Assembly’s catechism, Boston: James Loring (publisher), between 1815 and 1826.
- The Best Golf Advice I Ever Received by Donald Trump, 1st edition, signed.
- Official Souvenir Book Churchill Downs, May 7, 1938, 64th Kentucky Derby – Winner Lawrin, Cover: War Admiral.
- Official Souvenir Book Churchill Downs, May 3, 1941, 67th Kentucky Derby – Winner Whirlaway.
- Because It Was Sunday: The Legend of Jack Youngblood by D. W. Cooper, signed by Youngblood, 2011.
- The Emmitt Zone by Emmitt Smith with Steve Delsohn, signed by Emmitt Smith, with Certificate of Authenticity, 1st edition, 1994.
- Voyage of Discovery in the South Sea and Bering’s Straits in Search of a North-east Passage by Otto von Kotzebue, 2 volumes, 1821.
- Voyage Historique de L’Amerique Meridionale: Fait Par Ordre Du Roi D’Espagne, 1752.
- Our Islands and Their People, 2 volume set, with illustrations, color plates, maps of Cuba, Puerto Rico post Spanish-American War of 1898, also Hawaii and Philippines, 1899.
- Several DVDs from Walt Disney Treasures in metal cases.
- A Story of Floating Weeds / Floating Weeds: The Criterion Collection.
- The Man Who Fell to Earth: The Criterion Collection.
- Cinema Paradise: Limited Collector’s Edition.
- Terry Pratchett’s Discworld Collection: Wyrd Sisters & Soul Music from the Award-Winning Animators
- Cosgrove Hall Films.
- Catalogue of the Wymberly Jones De Renne Georgia Library, 3 volume set.
- Kiowa Black Leggings Warrior Society – 50th-anniversary ceremony honoring Veterans filmed by the University of Oklahoma for the Society, 6 DVDs.
- Selected collectible Life Magazines from the 1940s including Col. Jimmy Stewart in uniform, VJ Day in Times Square 8/27/1945, Frank Sinatra, Ted Williams, Roy Rogers, Audie Murphy, and Shirley Temple issues.
- George Magazine – Tribute to John Kennedy Jr., 1999.
- George Magazine – Farewell Issue, Vol. IV, Number I, 2001.
- Lucky Peach Quarterly – Inaugural Issue, Summer 2011. Also Spring 2017.
- Gourmet Magazine – Final print edition, sealed in unopened mailer, mint, November 2009.
- Fortune – bound, May–August 1939.
- Five Vintage Books/Booklets about Hog Raising, 1888, 1922, 1926, 1927, and 1937.
- Scrapbook of greeting and advertising cards, c. late 1800s.
- The Psychedelic Guide to Preparation of the Eucharist in a Few of Its Many Guises, by Robert E. Brown, 2nd edition, 1971.
- Vintage medical books