OverDrive discontinued support for the OverDrive app on February 23, 2022, as it focuses users on Libby online and in the app for Apple (iOS) and Android smart phones and tablets.
Starting February 23, 2022:
- OverDrive removed the OverDrive app from the Apple App Store, Google Play, and Microsoft Store. The OverDrive app remains available on the Amazon store for now for iOS 10+ and Android 5.0+, since the Libby app is not available there yet.
- Current OverDrive app users can continue to use the app for now temporarily, but will not be able to re-download it.
- New users looking for the OverDrive app are directed to use Libby online or in the app for Apple (iOS) and Android smartphones and tablets.
- All users can continue to borrow titles from the library OverDrive website or Libby app website on any computer or mobile device that supports a web browser.
OverDrive will continue to develop updates for Libby, designed to deliver an enjoyable experience for all users. This includes:
- Easy onboarding startup process
- Improved accessibility and support for screen readers
- Syncing of Wish List
- Direct help and support services online and through the app
- Support for multiple cards and library memberships in the single app with a single bookshelf
- Push notifications
Please also note the following:
- Amazon/Kindle Fire users can continue to stream content through the Libby or OverDrive website or deliver Kindle eBooks using the "Send to Kindle" feature from any device that supports the Libby app or website.
- MP3 transfers of audiobooks from a computer to an mp3 player through the OverDrive Media Console for Windows or for Mac will continue to be available for users that have it, but the software will no longer be available for downloading.